There is much more than professional attire to consider when making the transition from student to professional. You must also evaluate your accessories. Carrying an old backpack with a college logo on it continues to identify you as a student. Consider using a leather portfolio, briefcase, or handbag to carry your belongings to the office in place of a backpack.
After evaluating your office environment and position, take a close look at the following accessories to determine if you are packaging yourself as a well polished professional.
1. Leather shoes polished and well-heeled vs. shoes that look worn and scuffed
2. A nice writing pen vs. the chewed up ballpoint logo pen you found somewhere
3. A leather portfolio to take notes in vs. the wire ring memo pad you’ve had in your backpack for 4 years.
4. A dark colored umbrella vs. the large striped one you borrowed from your dad’s golf bag
5. A leather briefcase vs. a backpack or canvas tote
6. A leather or nylon computer case vs. the old pillowcase you grabbed off your bed
7. A small case for business cards vs. the rubber band wrap
8. A leather wallet or money clip vs. the crumpled wad you pulled out of your backpack
9. A leather belt in good condition vs. the cording from hay bales
10. A conservative, thin faced watch vs. the underwater diving watch that looks like it weighs 2 pounds