English is a common international language. However, making an attempt to speak a country’s native language is greatly appreciated and demonstrates a great deal of respect to the citizens of that country.
After a recent trip to Mexico, I returned home knowing a great deal more of the Spanish language because the hotel employees recognized my willingness to communicate and learn their language. They taught me new phrases everyday.
Here are a few helpful Spanish phrases I learned and would like to share with you:
- Hello/ Hola
- Good morning/Buenos dias
- Good afternoon/ Buenos tardes
- Good evening or night/ Buenos noches
- How are you?/ Como esta usted?
- Very well, thank you/ Muy bien, gracias
- See you soon/ Hasta luego
- Yes/ Si
- No/ No
- Please/ Por favor
- Thank you/ Gracias
- You’re welcome/ De nada
- What is your name?/ Como se llama?
In A Restaurant
- I’d like…/ Quiero…
- A little more/ Un poco mas
- One beer please/ Una cerveza por favor
- Glass of water/ Un vaso de agua
- Ice (cubes)/ Heilo
- The bill please / La cuenta por favor
That’s all!/ Es todo!
Mucho gracias Damian! – Damian was one of the Palace Resort employees who not only helped me with the Spanish words, but also instructed me in pronunciation and grammar.